Assault Defense in Long Island
Let Our Lawyers Handle Your Defense
Assault occurs when an individual intentionally or recklessly causes physical harm to another individual. Under New York Penal Law, there are many different forms of assault that vary in severity and the potential penalties that they carry. If you are facing enhanced charges, this means you are at risk of receiving more severe penalties than if you were charged with simple assault.
Enhanced Assault Charges
Simple assault can result in enhanced assault charges when:
- The alleged offense involved the use of a weapon
- The alleged victim was injured (with the level of injury affecting the severity of the charge)
- When the alleged offense was committed against a law enforcement officer
- When the alleged offense was committed against an especially vulnerable party
Our Long Island criminal lawyers at Schalk, Ciaccio & Kahn are able to take on all levels of assault cases. Don’t hesitate to meet with one of our attorneys in a free consultation to discuss your specific situation.
Planning Your Defense
Our team at Schalk, Ciaccio & Kahn is committed to helping beat the assault charges that have been brought against you. When we take on your case, we will meticulously gather and review every piece of evidence (such as witness statements, medical records, and police reports) in order to help you build a stronger defense.
Some common defenses used in assault cases include:
- Lack of physical injury
- Lack of intent by the defendant
- Self-defense or defense of others
- Consent by the alleged victim