Long Island Traffic Ticket Defense Attorney
Long Island and New York Traffic Violation Lawyers
No matter how you look at it, driving is a dangerous activity. Though traffic laws help prevent accidents from occurring, sometimes those laws are enforced improperly. If you have recently received a traffic ticket, consider having an attorney examine your case. At Schalk, Ciaccio & Kahn, P.C., we get traffic tickets reduced all the time—whether you stand accused of speeding, running a red light or reckless driving, we’ll gladly lend our services to your case.
Common Traffic Violations
There are so many rules of the road that some people have trouble keeping track of them all. Here are a few common traffic violations to be mindful of.
- Speeding: It’s important to obey the posted speed limit at all times. However, you may find that you let your speed get away from you, or that the speed limit isn’t clearly displayed
- Distracted Driving: In New York, it’s illegal to drive while texting or talking on the phone. If an officer sees you driving while distracted, he can pull you over
- Document Violations: Driving with a suspended license or without proof of insurance can land you in a lot of trouble. A traffic lawyer may be able to help you explain the circumstances behind your document violation
Consequences of Pleading Guilty
It’s important to consider your options before paying a traffic ticket. In addition to a hefty fine, pleading guilty to a traffic violation may come with a few other unsavory consequences.
- Points on License: New York’s point system is designed to identify high-risk drivers. If you get 11 points in 18 months, you will have your license suspended
- Increased Insurance Rate: If your insurance company catches wind of your traffic violation, they may use it as justification for raising your insurance rate
- Criminal Record: If your traffic violation is serious enough, it could show up on your permanent criminal record. The DMV may also suspend your license
How a Lawyer Can Help
It is important to consult with an experienced traffic attorney before ever entering a plea of guilty to a traffic ticket. The traffic attorneys at Schalk, Ciaccio & Kahn are thoroughly familiar with the traffic courts on Long Island and New York City as well as the smaller villages and municipal courts. If you or a family member receives a traffic ticket for any of the following offenses or for any traffic ticket contact the Law Offices of Schalk, Ciaccio & Kahn:
- Texting While Driving
- Talking on Cell Phone While Driving
- Reckless Driving
- Running a Red Light
- Unlawful or Unsafe Lane Change
- Unlawful Tints
- Driving Without Insurance
- Driving with a Suspended License or Suspended Registration
- Disobeying a Traffic Signal
If you think that the penalty for your traffic violation seems a little excessive, consider setting up a meeting with a Long Island traffic lawyer from Schalk, Ciaccio & Kahn, P.C. A traffic lawyer can take a look at your citation and determine whether there’s anything amiss. If your lawyer can’t get the ticket thrown out, he will likely be able to reduce the fine or the number of points on your license.